The summer is coming up which means a lot of conferences are here which also means a lot of networking with like minded boss women.
- Set a Goal. What is your purpose for networking? Are you looking for a mentor? A job? or are you just looking for people to add to your connections? How many people do you want to meet? Going in with a set goal will help alleviate some of the nerves you may be feeling when you arrive to the networking portion of the conference.
- Elevator Pitch. When you’re in a room full of people, you want to make sure you stand out. Make it concise and straight to the point. Don’t have a long overdrawn speech and don’t oversell yourself.
- Remain Confident. No matter what happens keep your confidence sis. If you’re talking to someone who is on the same level as you or if you are talking to someone who is the VP of a company, remain confident and put your best foot forward. You’re their to network and socialize and they are most likely relaxed and not tense and are easy-going.
- Exchange Contact. Don’t just take their contact information or don’t just I’ve them your contact information. Make sure you’re actually exchanging information with them. You may give them your information and they never reach out to you, but if you have their contact you can follow-up and get from them whatever it is that you wanted.
- Follow-Up. After the networking event, follow-up with that person. Shoot them a quick e-mail and let them know where you met them, drop a couple of things that you guys talked about so that can remember you specifically and asked them for their LinkedIn. It keeps you fresh in their mind and lets them know you are interested in keeping with them.