On December 7, 2016 I made a post about my 2017 goals here. Now let’s see what goals have I accomplished so far and what I can manage to do with the last 163 days of 2017:
- Go from lipglossandchampagne.wordpress.com to lipglossandchampagne.com
- Start vlogging
- Launch an internship program for blog (social media and blog interns) (unpaid, college credit)
- Get into photography – Already have a camera, buy a tripod and camera lens
- Get into fashion styling – personal styling and/or celebrity styling
- Create an annual mentorship event/program for black girls, teens, and women (Reach out to sponsors and spokesmen)
- Create shirts/hats for Lipgloss and Champagne
- Finish paying off car note
- Pay off credit card bill
- Get passport an dplan a trip out of the country
- Get SHRM and/or HR Certificate
- Intern for a top company in LA for HR – Disney, Sony Pictures, HBO, Warner Bros., Nickeloden, Cartoon Network, etc.
- Obtain a MacBook
- Become a better graphic designer
- Become a brand ambassador for a hair company
- Meet zaddy (Michal B. Jordan)
- Get FIT and start to eat better
- Sign up for a dance class, more specifically Janelle Ginestra and Wildabest class
- Become a model
What’s funny is that, I never wrote this goals down in my goal book. I only wrote them on this blog post and I can honestly say, I don’t even remember half of them. However, let’s revisit them and see what I’ve accomplish, what I can do to accomplish things that I haven’t in 166 days, and what goals I can push off to 2018!
- Go from lipglossandchampgne.wordpress.com to lipglossandchampagne.com – So I obviously did not do this, LOL. I did however do research on the prices a couple of weeks ago, and I just have to wait until I can get my money up for this one.
- Start Vlogging – I need to invest in a better camera before I can start doing this, because there are so many different topics I want to elaborate on via Video
- Launch an internship program for blog – I’ve decided to continue with my blog on my own – taking courses in social media marketing so that I can better market my blog, etc.
- Get into photography – buy a tripod and camera lens | So I did buy a tripod, however my camera isn’t one that you can buy a camera lens and put on it. I did buy a new and better camera than the one that I have, but I took back when I realized it’s still just as bad of a camera as my current one LOL
- Get into fashion styling – personal styling and/or celebrity styling – SOOO, I absolutely forgot that this was on my list and I am so upset because now that I am moving away from LA, it’ll be not impossible but hard to get into this. I will however try my best to get into this while in KY
- Create an annual mentorship event/program for black girls, teens, and women – So, I didn’t do this, actually forgot that this was actually one of my goals, but after going to Essence Festival this past month, this is something I am heavily interested in. I’m moving back to KY, but this is an event I want to host in Los Angeles, so when I move back in two years (meaning I have two years to plan, network, and implement) I plan on having this event
- Create shirts/hats for Lipgloss and Champagne – Ahem, I revisited this a couple of weeks and I’m waiting until I find a new place before I have them ordered and shipped. I’m pretty excited for this one. J
- Finishing paying off car note – I legit thought, my mom did the 5 year plan and that I’d be done paying my car off this year, but I clearly won’t be done until 2018; definitely something that could be pushed off to the 2018 goals
- Pay off credit card bill – this is a joke, at the time, I only had one credit card, I have accumulated about 5 more since then and I definitely have not paid anything off. I do however plan to pay at least two of them off before the end of 2018
- Get a passport and plan a trip out of the country – definitely have not done this yet, but want too
- Get SHRM and/or HR Certificate – So, I’ve shifted gears in my career aspirations. Originally I was going for my Master’s in HR, but now I am going for Master’s in Student Affairs, although an HR Certificate still wouldn’t look bad especially for the skill sets that I have
- Intern for a top company in LA for HR – you actually have to still be in school to do this L
- Obtain a Macbook – I’ve accomplished this
- Become a better graphic designer – I’ve bought Adobe Photoshop, so let’s see how this goes
- Become a brand ambassador for a hair company – I’m not even sure why this was a goal of mine, maybe it was so that I can just get free bundles LOL
- Meet zaddy (Michael B. Jordan) – This should have said Chance the Rapper, but I’m guessing at the time I was obsessed with MBJ
- GET FIT and start to eat better – definitely tried with this one! I literally went hard in January and February but slowed down a little bit and I would always try to eat right but I have picked up on drinking sodas like crazy as well, however, this is definitely something that can be accomplished in the last 163 days left in 2017
- Sign up for a dance class, more specifically Janelle Ginestra and Wildabeast class – So I never got a chance to do this before I moved from California however, when I move back to LA in 2019, this is definitely on the top of my to-do-list
- Become a model – This definitely did not happen, but I strongly believe that within the next 2 years, I can work on myself, my connects, and getting headshots done to become the model that I want to be
All-in-all looking back on my 2017 goals list, I only fully completed one of my goals and slightly completed two other goals out of the 19 goals on my list. Pathetic right? It’s okay, I am more focused than ever now to get everything done! Not everything on my list can be done in 163 days, but they can be completed for my 2018 goals!
What are your goals and what steps are you taking to accomplish them?
Below are a few tips on how to set your goals and make them happen!
The first and most important question you should ask yourself is why should you set goals in the first place?
Having goals for things we want to do and working towards them is an important part of being human. The path towards our goals may not always go how we want them (hence why I haven’t completed anything on my 2017 goals list), but having goals is part of what makes life exciting and worth getting shit done for. It gives you a meaning and purpose in life and a reason to be interested and engaged.
Next you should decide on what you want to do or work towards. It doesn’t matter what it is but as long as it’s something that you want to do for YOU and no one else (if it’s a goal that you’re trying to achieve because you want to impress someone else, nine times out of ten it won’t get done or you’ll go about an unhealthy way to get it done).
Write down your goals! I have a cute little goals book that I made. (I went to the dollar store and got a composition book and decorated it with little things from the dollar store as well) Writing down your goals increases your chances of sticking with them. You should write down the goal, how you will achieve it and when you’d like to achieve it.
Tell someone about your goals. When you let someone know what your goals are, they can also help you in achieving them, for example I told one of my co-workers that one of the main reasons, I want to move back home is to get my credit together, because child it is the PITS right now and she told me that she’d check up on me occasionally to make sure I am doing what I am supposed to be doing to get shit done.
Break your goal down. This is especially important for big goals.
Plan your first step. For example, your goal is to cut of drinking coffee. Obviously it can be a little hard to cut it off cold turkey. However, you should reduce the amount of coffee you drink a day or in a week. If you drink 5 cups a day, reduce it to 3 or 2 cups a day or if you drink a coffee once a day, cut it down to only 5 days a week and so forth.
Keep going! No matter how hard it may be to continue with following your steps on this goal that you have set, KEEP GOING!! If you need to adjust your goal, that’s okay, just make sure you stick with it.
Celebrate! Once you’ve successfully completed your goal, celebrate and also think about what your next goal can be!